Monday, December 2, 2013

A Christmas Miracle

It's the week before Christmas, and the kids are hyped up 
on candy canes, on brownies, on Coke and 7-Up. 
They haven't bought packages or gift box wrapped toys;
No money this year for the girls and the boys.

The power bill, the cable, and the water bill due...
But the checking account statement shows $12.22. The boys each want bikes, and the girls each want dolls,
But how in the world can they afford it all?

He goes in to work for another day's wage, 
The same old story, just another day's page.
He takes his sack lunch to the bar at the diner,
Sick of feeling like he's wearing life's shiner.

He chats with an elderly man they call Tim,
A quiet, old gentleman sitting proper and prim.
He speaks of his wife and his son with a tear,
His son sent to heaven in Iraq yesteryear.

Mary, his soul-mate, just this last year passed,
Reunited with her son at last.
I guess my problems aren't as bad as they seem;
My family's still here, not just in my dreams.

"Son, why the long face? What's ailing you today?"
I'm so ashamed of myself. "I just can't say."

"Is it money troubles, trouble buying presents, young man?
I remember those years... just do what you can.
My boy asked Santa for a gun one time...
the day after boss man shut down our line."

"Well, what did you do? Did you get him the gun?
Did he have a good Christmas? Did he have fun?"

"Mary washed clothes, and I shoveled snow,
Working for pennies to make Christmas a go.
But no matter how hard we worked and we tried,
We couldn't afford presents...Mary sat there and cried."

He went on to tell him how Santa Clause came.
He didn't know when, didn't know his name.
But that cold Christmas morning when his son awoke,
A BB gun was wrapped up with a bow.

"Son, God sees you struggling, and He'll take care of you.
Just pick yourself up and keep pushing through.
Merry Christmas to you and to yours,
When God doles out blessings, He'll make sure it pours."

He stood and grabbed his ticket to pay.
I quickly grabbed it, not knowing what to say.
"This one's on me; thanks for the talk.
I guess I'm not the first dad to walk this walk."

He saw the old man's eyes moistly glisten,
I'll pay for his coffee.. he didn't have to listen.
He finished his lunch as the old man walked out,
His mind full of questions, his heart full of doubts.

God, how will we make it? What will we do?
I know the real reason of Christmas is you.
But I don't want my kids to do without
Because I've yet to figure it all out.

I know it sounds trivial, God, and not a big deal,
But help my kids know Christmas miracles are real.
And if you could help us buy a gift or two,
we'll make sure all the credit is given to You.

The days passed on, and Christmas drew nigh,
But no presents were bought...the kids wondered why.
No shiny, wrapped boxes, no pretty gift bags,
No Susie or Johnny written on Christmas tags.

Christmas Eve came, and both their hearts broke,
There would be no presents when the children awoke.
Their sons and their daughters were tucked in their beds
As mom and dad sat up, hands cradling their heads.

A soft rap at the door...(a rat-a-tat-tat),
Midnight on Christmas Eve? Who in the world is that?
They quietly opened the front door ahead,
Finding a hand-sprawled note...this is what it said.

"Your young family's story has been on my heart,
Since my little family has been torn apart.
I can't bring them back, but I still want to give,
To spread God's love as long as I live.

"Christmas isn't about buying gifts or things,
But I know the heartache having so little brings.
I picked up some things for your girls and your boys,
Some clothes, each a Bible, and a few Christmas toys.

"Please spread the word that dreams come true
When you believe in Him, for He believes in you.
A very, Merry Christmas to you and to yours,
When Jesus makes it rain, He makes sure it pours."

They couldn't believe it. Right there on the walk
were two boys bicycles and two dolls that could talk.
Gift boxes and bags and books for each one,
Where did all of these gifts come from?

How did this happen? How can this be?
They immediately cried and fell to their knees.
Thank you, Lord, for the gift that you sent.
Your son, the babe Jesus, the gift that I meant.

In the cold, dark, wee morning hours,
amid twinkling stars and flurrying snow showers,
The girls awoke first, soon followed by boys,
The air filled with squeals and giggles and noise.

"Kids, before you open your presents today,
there's something important we need to say.
'Father, we thank you for sending your son,
He's the real Christmas miracle, the only one.'"

No comments:

Post a Comment