Friday, November 1, 2013

AC/DC in an O.C.D. World


As a Southern woman, sometimes I feel like I was born at the wrong time. When I hear the stories on the news of horrible acts of violence and senseless sin, it makes me want to cry. I kid you not; one of the headlines on the news the other day was ‘Norwegian Hunter Misses Moose, Shoots Man on Toilet’. I didn’t read the story to learn of the fate of the poor man that got shot, but can you imagine if he died…on the toilet….from being shot? How are you gonna explain that one to Saint Peter?  I can hear Petey getting’ the welcoming committee ready right now. “Hey, ya’ll ain’t gonna believe how this one got here! Paw-Paw, we’ll let you in since you lived a good life as a Godly man and walked the walk during your days on dirt, but we can’t let you through the pearly gates unless you pull your britches up and tuck your spleen back in.” Should I ever die in an accident, I hope it’s the kind that makes Saint Pete ask for a few more details.

With the way the world is now, with constant fighting, wars, and monstrous acts being shown daily on The View, most of us have probably wondered if Jesus is strapping on his walking shoes and getting ready to pick up His kids. Let’s just hope it don’t turn out like the car rider line at Blondie’s preschool. I can’t prove it because I wasn’t there, but I recognize it from the footage:  it’s where Dale Earnhardt earned his wings.

These preschool teachers that bring the kids to their cars are wonderful, and I thank God for them. They are careful, they make sure the kids don’t run out in traffic, and they help them get their backpacks and 427 coloring pages in the car. And did I happen to mention that they’ve saved my butt so many times by labeling my daughter’s pictures? Nothing puts the fear of God into you like having to pick which drawing is your portrait:  the blue-haired, club-footed Cyclops on a hot air balloon/unicycle, or the elusive green-spotted, three nosed, conjoined panda kitten with sparklers sticking out of her butt?

But in the car rider line, you may as well be on ‘Survivor: Appalachia.’ I have seen women get out of their cars, and proclaim that the woman in front of them is involved in the world’s oldest profession. I have seen demolition derbies break out at the daycare drop-off. I have had Snooty McSassypants get out of her new Audi SUV, and tell me she was gonna push me out of the way if I didn’t move. Excuse me, darling, have you seen my truck? I drive a Navigator, possibly the same model that Moses used to lead the exodus of the Israelites. Lady, unless you’ve got ten more of those Audi’s to help you, you’re gonna need to read Psalm 10:6 from the King James Version, “…I shall not be moved…I will have no trouble.” 

Big Bessie, as I call her, is an awesome truck. She’s got about 730,000 miles on her, give or take a few, but she is a lady. I know girls that had weddings in the First Baptist Church that had more miles than that on them, and they had the nerve to wear white. Bessie, bless her heart, ain’t worn white in a minute, but she’s loyal, and I love her. We bondo-ed, I mean bonded, instantly when we brought her home from that guy that lost his license on that third dewey. Bessie is a woman, though, so she can be a little temperamental. Though her tramp stamp is a Lincoln emblem, she still gets so insecure sometimes. Some days, she’s remorseful about her colored past, so she won’t let me see how many miles she has on her. On other days, she feels unattractive so she won’t let me turn the lights on. But it’s okay because all ladies have days like that, where we just want to go sit in the carwash with all that pretty, rainbow-colored foam and have a big, strong, straight-out-of-the-factory operator take care of business. Ladies, just remember:  we are all beautiful in the eyes of God…even if we’ve got black stains on our grill and a big ‘ole back bumper.

Sometimes I feel like I am Bessie when she’s in the car rider line. I look around and feel like I’m surrounded by younger, more compact models with their Organic Orange Blossom fragrances and fuel-efficient tanks. But Bessie and I are Southern ladies, and we don’t operate that way. We smell more like our favorite men, Jimmy Dean and Maxwell House, and we tend to fill up our tanks with biscuits and gravy.

If I do say so myself, Bessie is a lot more transparent with her mood swings than I am. When Bessie has a bad day, she smokes like a freight train and coughs and sputters like she’s just finished off a case of Marlboro Reds. She may start off the day with a full tank, but by the time we’ve taken three kids to school, made another trip to deliver their chocolate milk-covered homework to the school secretary, gotten groceries, picked the kids up from school, and gotten back home again, our tanks are slap empty, and it’s gonna take more than a little bit of corn gas to keep us going. Sometimes, Unleaded just ain’t enough.

That feeling of being exhausted and emotionally bankrupt at the end of the day is for the birds. There are days when bedtime can’t come fast enough, and even if we were to sleep through the entire box set of ‘Lonesome Dove’, we’d still be worn out.  We have to get up in the morning and take care of business. Well, you don’t actually have to, but in light of how today turned out, I strongly suggest it. 

“Um, yes, Mrs. Cox, this is Delores down at the preschool. I saw your husband drop Blondie off this morning, and I wanted to make sure everything was alright.” So, let me get this straight. This poor woman that listens to 150 screaming kids all day is worried about my mental state?  It must be worse than I thought. I assure her I’m fine, but she keep pressing on.

“Well, Mrs. Cox, we were just a little concerned about her wardrobe choice this morning, and I’m thinking you might not have seen her before she came to school today.” Oh, God, please tell me she didn’t dress herself. Last time she picked out her own clothes, I had voice-mails from Maury Povich, Jerry Springer and Ricki Lake before my coffee got cold. From the sound of Delores’s voice, I’m gonna need to turn my ringer off when we get off the phone. Apparently, my precious angel had gone to preschool donning a pair of leopard-print tights; no britches; her older brother’s ‘Pull My Finger’ t-shirt; a unicorn ponytail; pink, Cinderella snow boots; enough make-up to make a fallen woman blush; a United States military-issued gas mask; and, naturally, a milk mustache.

But I slept so good last night it was worth every inquiry slid under our door from Social Services. Like I’ve said before, it’s all about perspective. Today, when my little fashion star got home from school, she wore the same outfit till bedtime…for the first time in her life. Final Score:  Mom-1, Universe-0. After I return some of these phone calls, I just might see if my baby girl will give me a makeover. I’ve always wondered what I’d look like as the unicorn of the Apocalypse. And if Ms. Audi driver doesn’t like it, then I’m gonna share the gospel all over again. This time, from Malachi 2:3 in the KJV. “Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces.”  Y’all, I love that King James Version. Bless it’s heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment